To Cara and Breanna

We can't wait to meet our new daughters/sisters! Cara, 13.99 yrs old from Xiamen City and Breanna, 3 from Longang! Hope they like us - we already love them!















Sunday, October 17, 2010

bonding with a picture?

It's Sunday about 2:00pm - our flight to China is tonight at 8:35pm.  I'm down to trying to figure out how I'm going to wake up while in China - I need a small travel alarm clock - simple huh?  I can't find one.  I thought I would bring my cell phone and just use it's alarm feature, but I'm not sure if that will work in China.  So, anyway, I'll figure it out - or I just will sleep with one eye open.

But, while I've been running around buying last minute things I don't really need, I've been thinking about Cara and Breanna.  Funny how these are two kids I've never met and yet I'm already very vested in them.  I think about how they will react to us, what they will feel, how I can help make them feel secure and loved in the two/three weeks I'll be with them in China.  Short answer is: I can't.  I know from past experience it will take a least a year and probably longer until these kids feel comfortable, safe, loved and  basically well adjusted.  T'ea- our wild one from Ethiopia came home in January of 2009 and she is still exhibiting some major food hording, still acting out on anger and trying to control her envirnoment as much as possible.  The control thing is probably just typical two year old behavior, but the anger and food issues I think are definitely orphan related. None of our kids born or adopted at birth had food hording issues, but both Mia (she's almost adjusted to healthy eating - she just still pockets any food, especially french fries, that she wants to save for later) and T'ea both need to make sure there is plenty of food around.  T'ea will eat until she explodes!  It's not a pretty sight (or smell!!!)  I sure hope with time she will grow into a healthy relationship with food - having eating issues for life would be horrible.
In any case, both Cara and Breanna are coming home to us older than any child we have ever adopted before.  It would stand to reason then that they will be more affected by their life in the orphanage than any of our other kids.  I don't know what to expect - but, as strange as it may seem, I love them already - just from seeing their picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment